Monday, March 7, 2011

Rule #1: Your server and you.

I suppose I should start by describing my work environment, since most of my lessons will be coming from encounters in this specific type of restaurant. I work in a family oriented, fast paced, dining chain. I bartend there, which essentially boils down to waiting tables + making a few drinks while getting paid a little more than an average server.

What I mean by "Your server and you" is that as a guest you should fully understand what your server is capable of. Before anyone gets any ideas, I should say that I've never, and will never participated in anything like what was on display in the infamous "revenge" scene in the movie "Waiting". Not to say I haven't had guests who deserved it.

What servers are capable however is manipulating your experience from both a monetary and enjoyment standpoint. I can easily save a table 5-10 dollars depending on what they order with absolutely zero fraud. It's all about tricks in systems that allow us to take care of more cooperative tables. Now it goes without saying that a server will not go out of their way to refill a rude tables drinks, or make sure they are completely satisfied (some people never are), but it may come as a surprise to you that we lowly waiters/bartenders can also hit the worst people in their wallets. We have to find someway to jack up that 10% tip.

17 comments:

  1. Keep posting Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful, can't wait for more

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh nice
    following for sure keep it up bud :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to wait tables. This post should be the start of a high school class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are messing with our money and our food D:
    i need to find out what else you guys can mess with +follow

    ReplyDelete
  6. very informing, I didn't know about the stuff at the end, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome read for this nice morning, thanks man! :) I hope nobody is messing with my food o.O

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice to have a source of info for how to keep bodily fluids out of my food. thanks dude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats actually pretty helpful thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post dude, following for more stuff like this

    ReplyDelete
  11. good to know. i think you have a lot knowledge about this

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is sorely needed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting...will be checking back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very interesting.. can't wait for more :)

    ReplyDelete